Information to Employer
Benefits of Employing Apprentices
Can provide a team of loyal, stable and reliable skilled workforce for the company which will be indispensable for the long term development of the company. Also support from the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region and the Office of the Director of Apprenticeship.
Employers must employer the apprentice on a full time and full pay basis in accordance with the Apprenticeship Ordinance and relevant Employment Ordinance provisions. Also the employers must:
- have sufficient machinery, equipment and material in the trade for training apprentice;
- have sufficient and suitable skilled person to instruct the apprentice to learn the required skills in the trade;
- pay the fees of the relevant vocational course and the time spent in attending the course during normal hours of employment by the apprentice is fully paid.
Condition of Employment and Duration
The normal period of apprenticeship training is 4 years; however, if the apprentice possesses skills and/or prior working experiences, the training period can be reduced (Training Period at 2-4years).
Employers can apply training subsidy under the ‘Project for Tradesman Traineeship’, a collaboration between Youth Employment and Training Programme of the Labour Department and the Office of the Director of Apprenticeship of the Vocational Training Council.
- The Office of the Director of Apprenticeship will register apprenticeship contracts in accordance with the Apprenticeship Ordinance for the benefits of employer and apprentice.
- The inspectors of the Office of the Director of Apprenticeship will pay regular visits to ensure the training facilities of the employer are in place, and registered apprentice’s training is in good progress. Also the inspectors will conciliate disputes between employer and apprentice when necessary.